Friday, November 4, 2016

Stars of the 1960s: Johnny Callison


Here's the start of a new series on this blog - "Stars of the 1960s". (It's basically a ripoff take-off of Wrigley Wax's "All I Have of Him" series.) 

Johnny Callison was one of my favorite players on my hometown Phillies back in the 1960s. I started following baseball in 1967, so I missed his 1964 All-Star game exploits.

Callison was the one constant in the Phillies' lineup for the entire decade. Even with Richie Allen joining the squad in 1964, Allen was frequently changing positions due to his defensive shortcomings, and controversy was always swirling around him.


So now, just because...

(If I had one less Callison card, I could have squeezed the 1967 "Hurlers Beware" card into this Hollywood Squares matrix!)

CommishBob, enjoy!
.

4 comments:

Fireblossom said...

One of my favorite players from childhood. I had those last five cards, once upon a time.

Jim from Downingtown said...

Heh - just realized the '61 and '64 cards use the same photo.

Commishbob said...

Love the plethora of Callisons!! I need to do an inventory and finish my JC PC.


I'd forgotten about the '61-'64 dupe too.

Jim from Downingtown said...

More stars to come!