Friday, April 18, 2014

RIP - Bill Henry


Bill Henry, who had a 16-year career (1952-69) as a relief pitcher for 6 teams, passed away on April 11, 2014 at age 86.


Henry began his pro career in 1948, and pitched for the Red Sox from 1952-55. After 2 full seasons in the minors, he returned to the majors in 1958 with the Cubs.

Traded to Cincinnati before the 1960 season, he pitched for the Reds for 5+ years until moving to the Giants in May 1965. He was with the Giants for several seasons, and pitched for the Pirates at the end of the 1968 season.

Bill was in training camp with the expansion Seattle Pilots in 1969, but retired briefly until coming back with the Astros for a few months later that season.

Reports that Henry had passed away in 2007 were later attributed to identity theft.


Obituary

 

1 comment:

Commishbob said...

Sad news. Bill Henry lived not far from me. When I posted his '59 card I was contacted by someone who asked me to donate the card to the Pasadena (Tx) High School Hall of Fame as Bill was being inducted. I got busy and didn't respond until the event has passed. I kicked myself for being so foolish.