Saturday, March 8, 2014

Vintage child's baseball jacket


Who among you readers had one of these back in the 1960s? My brother and I had jackets similar to this one back in the early 1960s. One of us had a red jacket, while the other's was dark blue.

That jacket was probably my first clue about which teams were in the major leagues, since I had it for several years before collecting baseball cards. What ever happened to it?  I dunno, chances are I left it outside until the weather and insects made it unwearable.

I found this photo on the internet a few weeks ago. This particular jacket has 2 Mets patches on it, which seems unusual since not all teams are represented. Just like with my jacket, this one has a 'Red Legs' patch (since a team simply called the 'Reds' must surely be communist!)

                             (photo mis-appropriated from the interwebs)

6 comments:

Commishbob said...

I had one of those. It was blue. And somehow along the way I've picked up a few of those little round patches. Every once in awhile I come across a table at a memorabilia show that carries interesting off-the-wall stuff and I'll see the patches. It might be fun to collect all the different patches that might have been on a jacket from the 50s or 60s. Make a little banner with them all or something.

CaptKirk42 said...

I had one of those jackets, and my older brother also had one. One was blue and one red. I'm pretty sure one was AL teams and the other NL teams. I forget which one was which or who had which one.

Douglas said...

I'll have to dig up the one I have. I think it is in my son's foot locker. The badges were in a mini-pennant style with a small logo and the team name.

Mark Hoyle said...

Had a blue one myself

MICHAEL H. ERDMAN said...

Would love to purchase one of these. Anybody know where to look? Ebay? Thanks.

Unknown said...

Had the bases in a diamond on the back.