Friday, April 12, 2013

RIP - Grady Hatton


Former major-league 3rd baseman and manager Grady Hatton passed away on April 11, 2013 at age 90.

With no prior minor-league experience, Hatton became the the regular 3rd baseman for the Reds from 1946-50.  In 1954 he was traded twice, and finished his playing career in 1960 with the Cubs.


Hatton managed in the Astros' system from 1963-65, then took over the Astros' helm from 1966 to mid-1968. He later became a scout.

MLB obit

Houston-area obit

.

1 comment:

Commishbob said...

Grady Hatton was managing the Astros when I moved to Houston in 1967. That club is pretty special to me even if there were something less than special on the field. With Sonny Jackson, Joe Morgan, Eddie Mathews and Bob Aspromonte on the infield and Wynn and Staub and Mike Cuellar starring it was a fun club to follow, especially with my Orioles flailing as they did that year.

I kept a scrapbook that summer of pictures and box scores. I wish I still had it.