Tuesday, January 22, 2013

RIP - Fred Talbot


Fred Talbot, who pitched for five teams in the 1960s, passed away on January 11, 2013 at age 71. He was pre-deceased by his wife and his son, Fred Talbot III.

Obituary


Although I had already collected Talbot's '67 and '68 Yankees cards, I became more aware of him after reading Jim Bouton's book Ball Four in 1971. I recall that Talbot was somewhat of a nemesis for Bouton, although Bouton speaks well of Talbot in his guest book entry at the above obituary link.

Talbot had an 8-year major-league career (1963-70) with the White Sox, Kansas City Athletics, Yankees, Seattle Pilots, and Oakland Athletics.

From a White Sox blog

From NBC Sports

And some funny recollections of Talbot, Bouton, etc from readers of Ball Four
.

2 comments:

Douglas said...

Talbot made the news in milwaukee a while back when Shaun Marcum became only the second franchise pitcher to hit a grand slam. Talbot was the first while he was a Pilot.

Commishbob said...

I got his autograph on a program outside Yankee Stadium in 1968 or '69. I remember him as being a real 'hard luck' pitcher who was usually better than his numbers looked.

Not very Sabermetric of me I guess.